It is no surprise that electric bikes continue to dominate the market due to its efficiency. Many people prefer charging their motorbikes and cars because it is more convenient and practical. However, since it is new to the industry, misconceptions circulate online about e-bikes and questions that need answers to guide potential buyers. For instance, can you ride an ebike without the battery? Is it environment-friendly?
When appropriately used, an e-bike is a good investment. Here are the following things you need to know before purchasing e-bikes and how you can get the most of this bike.
Common Questions about E-Bikes
Here are the most common questions that are asked before purchasing an e-bike:
1. Are e-bikes hard to pedal?
E-bikes are built with a battery-powered generator that acts as a pedal and a throttle. Pedaling an e-bike will activate the motor, giving you a boost and cruising up the hills without a problem. Similar to a regular bike, you have control over the speed, only it is easier to use an e-bike.
It also features a throttle that will activate the motor with a single button switch. These bikes are constructed to provide the utmost convenience and easiness of transportation.
2. Can you ride an e-bike without the battery?
It is no secret that the battery of an e-bike takes much of the storage space and adds to the weight. Removing the battery makes it more lightweight and easier to handle. So, can you ride an ebike without the battery? The answer is a resounding yes.
There is no problem with removing the battery if you want to use your e-bike. You just need to make sure that the battery space will not be filled with dirt and cruds. You need to ready yourself because driving an e-bike without the battery requires more strength to pedal primarily when inclining. Most e-bikes are built with strong drive resistance that allows you to use the e-bike even without a battery.
3. How fast can an e-bike without a battery go?
Now that you know the answer to the question can you ride an ebike without the battery, you might be wondering how fast it can go. An e-bike is still considered a bike and not a scooter. Hence, it must follow the standard level of speed in terms of bikes.
In Europe, the e-bike must only have a maximum speed of 25 kilometers per hour regardless of the battery is installed or not. In the US, an e-bike can travel up to 32 kilometers per hour, with or without the battery.
4. Is it advisable to remove the battery of an e-bike?
Many people ask if you can ride an e-bike without the battery, and the answer is yes. Here are the following reasons that would make someone want to take the batteries out of an e-bike:
- Traveling on airlines – the number one reason to remove an e-bike's batteries is traveling on airlines. Batteries are not allowed in an airport. Hence, if you want to bring your e-bike with you, leaving the batteries at home and renting at your destination is the best thing to do.
- Flat battery – if your battery is flat or drained, there is no reason to install it in your e-bike anymore. It would only add unnecessary weight, so it’s best to leave it at home. You can save yourself from the hassle of carrying a drained battery by removing it before you go.
- Exceed max chairlift weight – if you've exceeded the maximum chairlift weight, you should consider removing and leaving the e-bike battery behind. That way, you can keep safe weight limits when traveling.
- Exercising – riding an e-bike without a battery will require more force. If you want to exercise using your e-bike, you can remove the batteries to make it challenging. An e-bike without batteries is just like a traditional bike.
Now that you know the answer to the question, can you ride an ebike without the battery, you should consider investing in an ebike. It is similar to a traditional bike; only it is easier and more convenient to use. If you remove the batteries from your e-bike, make sure that the compartment stays clean and store the battery in a cool place. It keeps the battery functional any time you install it back.