Well, you bought the ebike of your dreams! As far as we know, ebikes are types of bicycles that are powered by a battery. The battery of the bike is the one that keeps it moving. Thus, you need to know how long do eBike batteries last. This way, you can manage to work on taking care of your ebike battery and the holistic condition of your ebike.
As per theory-based concern, an ebike battery can work on a hundred charge cycle. But this also depends on the battery type that your electric bike is using. Before purchasing an ebike, you must check and do thorough research about it. Know what is its battery type.
Here are the most commonly used batteries for electric bikes:
- Lead Batteries- You can find this type of battery in first-generation ebikes. You can expect it to run approximately 300 cycles.
- Lithium Batteries- This type of battery runs almost ebikes today. It can hold up to 1000 cycles. No doubt, most ebike users, especially hunters, prefer it.
- Nickel Batteries- This battery can hold up to 500 cycles. It is much higher compared to lead batteries.
How to Prolong Your eBike’s Battery Life?
With proper care and maintenance, your ebike batteries can last up to three years. Bike batteries price is not cheap! You cannot just simply throw a bunch of your savings to buy new. That is why you need to learn some tips in prolonging your battery's life.
Check out some tips below.
Avoid Storing Your Battery in Extreme Cold or Hot Environment
For hunters, they often go on a trip most of the time. Their bike endures cold and hot environments, and the same goes for their battery. It is completely fine to ride your bike in extreme weather conditions, and your battery can endure that. But one thing that you must practice doing is storing your battery in a moderate temperature. That means that during winter, make sure to keep your battery and the bike itself in a place where it is not shortly exposed to the frigid cold.
Don’t Submerge Your Battery in Water
Yes! You read it right. Electric mountain bike is one of the best bikes in terrain because it can endure any obstacle. But one thing you missed to know is that some users fail to acknowledge that the battery of electric mountain bike is not waterproof. All ebikes are water-resistant, but not waterproof. If the water penetrates inside the battery, it will inevitably affect the state of your battery. So, don't ever submerge your battery in water.
Remove your Ebike’s Battery While Transporting
Don't forget to remove your battery in the bike during transit. The constant harsh vibrations from your car are not suitable for the internal components in the battery. Remove the battery during transportation, and this will also make your ebike lighter and more manageable.
When plugging your ebike battery in to charge, be sure to plug your battery or ebike in first before you plug it into the wall. The instant high voltage from the charger may shock your battery if you plug it into the wall first.
Storage and Charging
- Store your battery and bike in a room with room temperature between 0 to 20 degrees Celcius.
- Keep your battery away from the heat source.
- Avoid leaving your battery charging overnights. Make sure to disconnect the charger from the battery and the wiring after loading it with electricity.
- Never completely drain the battery, but always try charging it to 100%.
- Before cleaning your bike, remove the battery.
- Do not use steam pressure in cleaning your electric bike.
- Do not immerse your battery in water. Use a damp cloth in cleaning it, simply wipe it and avoid direct contact of water.
So, How Long Do eBike Batteries Last? Typically, an electric bike’s battery can last up to three years. This depends on how you take good care of it and the battery type you are using. Make sure to regularly check the status of your battery so that you can act instantly if you find any problem.
If it is necessary for you to change your ebike's battery, purchase to authorized shops nearby you or online. They surely have an ebike battery pack that is best and matches your electric bike. Hunting is best when you are using the best electric hunting bike that ensures the smooth ride. Happy hunting!